Weekly Wisby 19: Finishing Up


It’s become hard to work on Break It. And it’s a shame: I really went for that project. But after a falling out with a team member, and another one being generally curt to me, my excitement for it has waned significantly. I haven’t been updating the community, I mostly work on other stuff during my Break It hours: it’s not something I’m proud of. But at the very least, I sent Hakan, our project leader, a mail asking if we can have a chat with the whole team. If not now, then perhaps after the assessment, because I’ll be damned if I’m not getting a lesson out of this.




As a solace to this hardship though, I’ve agreed with the team to work on my parts individually, with them giving me the required workload. I wasn’t feeling welcome in meetings anyway, so it works out. This has helped me a bit, since it’s now just about tasks I need to tick of and I can skip the feeling-unwelcome parts. It doesn’t even feel like it is so much about what has happened between us, more that it has gone unresolved for so long, and that nobody knows where we stand now. It’s an awkward position to be in, tiptoeing around every topic scared to trigger the frustrations of the past. I notice this in myself as well as the others and it makes for an air of unease that I could no longer stay in.

This all to say I don’t blame them for my decision, and I hope this paragraph doesn’t come across as such. The last thing I want is to be seen as a victim: I haven’t made the smartest choices in this conflict either and I know I can be kind of a jerk when it comes to talking shop! My decision to step away is simply me trying to make the best choice in the given situation, and this seemed like the best choice, so don’t go and pity them or me for it.




You may pity me for this next thing though. A friend of mine got corona, so now I’m in quarantine. It SUUUUUUCKS! Gotland always seemed like the last place on Earth where corona would strike, however the holidays made short work of that promise. It’s no wonder that every body and their grandma want to see their family for Christmas. And Gotland being such a student-populated city we had a lot of people going home for the occasion, bringing back corona from overseas. If you read my last blogs, you know I stayed here since I’m seeing my flock again in February, so it wouldn’t make much sense going for a week just to see them next month. Alas, staying didn’t save me and now I am stuck at home waiting to be tested.

But hey you know what? What’s nice about that is all the time you get to PLAY VIDEOGAAAAMES!!! I haven’t done that for a good while actually, so it’s nice to pick one up again and just get to talk about it.

And for this week’s menu, it’s DEATH ROAD TO CANADA: a zombie-survival game where you travel along the road with a group of jerks to drive to Canada in 15 days, Canada of course being the only country left in the world save of the threat of zombies.


Now if you know me, you know that I’m not the biggest fan of zombie games. Most of them come across more like “shooters with the enemies screaming”. But in the face of what other games get wrong, Death Road gets everything right. It’s not so much about any individual zombie, as they are all weak and easily dispatched. Instead, it’s about the hoard of zombies overwhelming you as you are locked in and have to strategically find your way of escape, either by leading them in circles, or having them kill one of your team members to create a diversion.

Now sure, that sounds brutal… but the second thing that Death Road to Canada does is being wacky. Even though there’s so much death going on, your team talks about wanting to see a moose and who farted in the car. It provides a much-needed comedic reprieve from the stress of fleeing, as well as demean their deaths. It’s still a setback, but you don’t have to feel so awful about it when all your characters are acting so unapologetically gamey.

I’ve won this game like 7 times this week, and lost a lot more, because it is hard. But whatever you do: listen to the soundtrack. The opening tune is a banger.



And definitely check it out if you like playing with your friends, because it supports that too!




I Finished the code to Snake! Normally I talk about code… but I wanted to make a video this time (also because you need to see what atrocities I have committed to the snake). Hope you enjoy and I will see you next week for my last blog entry!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Wisby 11: TRIPLE YOUR FANBASE IN 7 DAYS MASTERCLASS

Weekly Wisby 13: Community’s-a-changin’